Dallas, TX is a city with a rich economy and diverse industries. From Fortune 500 companies to small business owners, Dallas thrives as the home of many major corporations including AT&T, ExxonMobil, Southwest Airlines, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, and JCPenney.
As one of the most populous cities in Texas and the United States alike, it's no wonder that Dallas offers some of the best opportunities for employment in North America.
In addition to being one of the fastest-growing cities in America today with so much opportunity around every corner from corporate giants to smaller startups - if you're a musician or performer, looking for business opportunities, openings in the music industry, bars and restaurants to play at - Dallas has a lot to offer.
Some of the biggest companies based in Dallas, TX include:
AT&T, Southwest Airlines, J.C. Penney, 7-Eleven Inc., Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Dean Foods, and Charles Schwab to name a few.
Let's take a look at some of the top industries in Dallas today:
The DFW Metroplex has been named as being among the best metropolitan cities for business in the United States. Resting between two major ports, Dallas is a dominant city for transportation and logistic growth.
As of 2015, Forbes listed Dallas as having the 8th largest economy in all of North America or $504 Billion dollars. The ranking was just behind Mexico City and just ahead of Tokyo:
Dallas has also been named the #1 city in the world for shopping, according to Forbes Magazine.
Dallas also ranks high on being a great place for manufacturing and export opportunities. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is home to many of Fortune 500 companies.
A few examples are:
- Southwest Airlines - Ranked #18 on the Fortune 500 list, and is known for being the largest carrier in the United States.
- ExxonMobil - Ranked #2 on the Fortune 500 list, ExxonMobil is also headquartered in Dallas, Texas. It is famous for being the largest oil company in the world and ranked #7 on Forbes' list of America's Largest Private Companies.
- Mary Kay Cosmetics - Mary Kay Cosmetics also has their main headquarters in Dallas, Texas. This direct selling company is ranked #90 on the Fortune 500 list, with annual revenue of over 3 billion dollars.
- Neiman Marcus - Ranked #58 on the Fortune 500 list, Neiman Marcus is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company is known for its luxury retailing and is one of the world's best known retailers.
- The Texas Instruments - The TI, or simply Texas Instruments is listed at #164 on the Fortune 500 list. They are well known for making calculators, semiconductors and related software, as well as it being the second largest manufacturer of semiconductors worldwide.
- 7-Eleven Inc. - 7-Eleven Inc. is a privately held international retail chain with headquarters in Dallas. They are the world's largest operator, franchiser and licensor of convenience stores.
- FedEx Ground - One of the leading ground shipping companies, FedEx Ground is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company is ranked at #223 on the Fortune 500 list.
- J.C. Penney Company, Inc - Ranked #192 on the Fortune 500 list. The company is known for their retail chain J.C. Penney and their headquarters is located in Plano, Texas (suburb of Dallas).
- Fossil Inc. - is headquartered in Richardson, Texas (suburb of Dallas) and is famous for its watches. Fossil Inc., is ranked #191 on the Fortune 500 list.